I have a lot of feelings this year—2016 has kind of thrown a lot of curveballs and a few of them have hit me and left me bruised. It’s Thanksgiving Day as I write this, and I’m thankful for all of you. We are entering the time of year where I typically get excited to send out holiday cards and find perfect presents for the people in my life, but I can’t muster the energy. This year I’m dreading the holidays. I feel crappy inside. The world is going to hell and there’s nothing I can do—except, maybe there sort of is.
Instead of giving me a present this Christmas, please consider donating to one of these charities/nonprofits (either in my honor or just cuz):
The Big Ones
- Planned Parenthood (Bonus points if you do this in Mike Pence’s honor instead of mine)
- Southern Poverty Law Center
- JOIN (We saw a lot of homelessness in Portland and I found this four-star rated group through Charity Navigator.)
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- Alley Cat Allies (because cats.)
- Stand With Standing Rock
- AmeriCares (my friend works for this charity, and because I follow all their social, I see the good work they do.)
- Washington College (my alma mater and employer—give students like me a chance at a good education by donating for scholarships.)
I don’t need things this year. I need my heart to stop hurting. I am blessed with food, shelter, and an amazing support system of friends and family. I hope that you can choose one of these nonprofits—or find one that is special to you—and share good fortune with others this year.
Love always wins,